Location: 3321 16th St, San Francisco, CA 94114
Date founded: June 26, 1776
Patron saint: St. Francis of Assisi.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Ohlone, Coast Miwok, Southern Pomo, Wappo, perhaps Wintun, Maidu, Miwok,Yokuts.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas.
Features: Adobe church, whitewashed, with two rows of four imitation columns on the façade. Sits adjacent to the much larger parish church.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 327
Interesting facts: The mission survived the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906 practically unscathed. The church ceiling is covered with chevron designs painted by native artists.
- December 1791: the fourth and final church building was completed.
- 1805: Measles epidemic kills hundreds of Ohlone Indians.
- 1826: English navy Captain Fredrick William Beechey and crew visit the mission as part of a polar expedition.
- 1858: Mission property restored to the Catholic Church by President James Buchanan.
Daily life: Daily life at Mission San Francisco de Asís was very similar to life at other missions. You can learn more about daily life at the missions here.