Location: 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053
Date founded: January 12, 1777
Patron saint: St. Clare of Assisi.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Ohlone (Costanoan), Yokuts (from the Central Valley).
Goods produced: Wheat, other crops.
Features: Restored church built in 1929 after being destroyed by fire in 1926, old adobe room and wall from mission period. Church interior with many pieces of surviving mission-era artwork.
Current status: University chapel.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 338
- Mission Santa Clara de Asís is the only mission located on a university campus.
- The mission church was rebuilt five times, the last time after a fire in 1925.
- A bell given by King Carlos IV in 1798 to Mission Santa Clara hangs in the bell tower in the current church.
- May 15, 1784: Fr. Junípero Serra dedicates the church building.
- January 2, 1847: Battle of Santa Clara in the Mexican-American War takes place near the mission.
- May, 1851: Mission Santa Clara becomes Santa Clara College.
- Fire destroys the church in 1926. It is rebuilt in 1928.
Daily life: Daily life at Mission Santa Clara de Asís was very similar to life at other missions. You can learn more about daily life at the missions here.