Location: 1104 Fifth Ave, San Rafael, CA 94901
Date founded: December 14, 1817
Patron saint: The Archangel St. Raphael.
Founders: Fathers Sarriá, Abella, Durán and Gil y Taboada.
Native peoples: Coast Miwok, Wappo and Pomo.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos, pears, grapes.
Features: Small replica chapel next to larger parish church. Three of the original bells and painting of the mission’s patron, St. Raphael, are also preserved.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 220.
Interesting facts: Mission San Rafael originally began as a hospital to take care of sick natives from Mission San Francisco de Asís. It was the first mission founded north of the San Francisco Bay.
- October 19, 1822: San Rafael Asistencia is officially raised to mission status.
- February, 1829: Ex-mission Indians under the leadership of Marino and Quintin attack the mission.
- 1846: U.S. Army Capt. John C. Frémont uses mission as headquarters during Mexican-American War.
- 1855: U.S. Government restores 6 1/2 acres to the Catholic Church.
More about Mission San Rafael Arcángel: