Location: 751 Palm St, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Date founded: September 1, 1772
Patron saint: Saint Louis of Toulouse.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Chumash — also known as Obispeño
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils.
Features: Adobe church with convento, with surviving stone cocina (kitchen).
Current status: Roman Catholic parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 325
Interesting facts: The mission location was known by the Spanish as Valle de los Osos (Valley of the Bears) because of its enormous bear population. In 1830, one of the missionaries, Fr. Martínez, was arrested for criticizing the Mexican government and banished to Spain.
- 1794: Present church building completed.
- 1820: Arrival of three mission bells from Perú.
- 1830: Fr. Antonio Luis Martínez was arrested by the Mexican government and deported to Spain.
- 1845: Mission buildings sold.