Location: 428 S Mission Dr, San Gabriel, CA 91776
Date founded: September 8, 1771
Patron saint: The Archangel St. Gabriel.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra, Fr. Pedro Cambón.
Native peoples: Tongva — also known as Gabrielino.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos.
Features: Most distinctive of the Alta California missions, with “fortress style” church with buttresses topped by pyramid-shaped almenas, in imitation of the cathedral of Córdoba in Spain.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 158
Interesting facts: It was an important stop on the overland route from the south and the east. At one point Mission San Gabriel had the largest winery in Alta California.
- 1775: Mission settled in final location after being moved three times.
- 1805: New church completed.
- Bell tower toppled during the 1812 earthquake. New campanario completed in 1828.
- 1859: Mission property restored to the Catholic Church.