Location: 15151 San Fernando Mission Blvd, Mission Hills, CA 91345
Date founded: September 8, 1797
Patron saint: St. Ferdinand, King of Spain.
Founder: Fr. Fermín de Lasuén.
Native peoples: Tataviem, Tongva (Fernandeño, Gabrieleño).
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos and fava beans.
Features: Rebuilt church with seventeenth century altarpiece from Spain; restored convento with wall paintings; original fountains.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 157
Interesting facts: In 1811, an aqueduct over a mile long was built to supply the mission fountain. From 1857 to 1861, some of its rooms were used as a stagecoach station.
- 1806: Permanent church completed (destroyed by earthquake in 1971).
- 1808: Stone dam is built.
- 1810: A dispute breaks out between the mission friars and the Pueblo of Los Angeles over over the amount of water to be used for irrigation.
- 1811: 1 1/3 mile long aqueduct is built.
- March 9, 1842: Mission mayordomo Francisco “Cuso” López, discovers gold near the mission.
Website: No current website. Phone (818) 361-0186 for information.