Location: 130 Emmett St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Date founded: August 28, 1791
Patron saint: Named for the Cross of Jesus (the Holy Cross).
Founder: Fr. Fermín de Lasuén.
Native peoples: Ohlone and Yokuts.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos and fava beans.
Features: Half-size replica of the original mission church adjacent to functioning parish church. Restored native family housing a couple of blocks away at Santa Cruz Mission State Historic Park.
Current status: Replicas of the mission are on the grounds of a Catholic parish. There is a nearby Santa Cruz Mission State Historic Park as well.
Historical landmark number: CA Historical Landmark no. 342
Interesting facts: In 1818 the mission was looted by settlers from the nearby town of Branciforte, who were supposed to be protecting it from pirates. An 1840 and earthquake and tidal wave caused great damage to the mission.
- 1794: Mission church dedicated.
- 1796: British explorer George Vancouver visits the mission. Tradition says he gifted grinding stones to the mission.
- July, 1797: Villa of Branciforte founded adjacent to the mission.
- 1812: Fr. Andrés Quintana, mission priest, is killed by a group of Native Americans from the mission.
- 1818: Mission is evacuated due to attacks of pirate Hippolyte Bouchard.
- 1840: Earthquake topples the mission campanario (bell tower).
- February, 1857: Earthquake destroys the mission church and outbuildings.
- 1859: President James Buchanan gives the mission buildings and 17 acres back to the Catholic Church.
Websites: (Parish) www.holycrosssantacruz.com/mission-santa-cruz and (Park) www.parks.ca.gov