Location: 2201 Laguna St, Santa Barbara, CA 93105
Date founded: December 4, 1786
Patron saint: St. Barbara.
Founder: Fr. Fermín de Lasuén.
Native peoples: Chumash — also known as Barbareño, Canalino.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos and fava beans.
Features: Neoclassical façade with two bell towers, fountain and lavandería, convento and gardens.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: Historical landmark status: California Historical Landmark no. 309; National Historical Landmark
Interesting facts: The archive-library of the mission contains a collection of almost all of the documents related to the founding of the mission chain. In 1824 Chumash Indians organized an uprising against Spanish soldiers.
- 1798: A village for Christian Chumash is established just west of the mission.
- September 10, 1820: Current church completed and dedicated.
- February 22, 1824: Chumash Indians launch an uprising against Missions in the Santa Bárbara region.
- April 1833: Santa Bárbara becomes the headquarters of the missions.