Location: 26801 Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Date founded: November 1, 1776
Patron saint: St. John of Capistrano.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Acjachemen — also known as Juaneño.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos, fava beans.
Features: Ruins of great stone church, espadaña with bells recovered from ruins, restored adobe Serra chapel, built in 1782.
Current status: Mission buildings are on the grounds of a Catholic parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 200
Interesting facts: The mission was destroyed by earthquake in 1812. On March 19 of each year (Feast of St. Joseph), swallows migrate 6,000 miles from Argentina to the town of San Juan Capistrano.
- The great stone church (largest Spanish building ever erected in California) was started in 1797 and completed in 1806.
- December 8, 1812: Earthquake destroys the church, killing 40 people.
- 1818: Mission sacked by privateer Hippolyte Bouchard.
- 1846: Pío Pico sells mission buildings to brother-in-law John Forster.