Location: 406 2nd St, San Juan Bautista, CA 95045
Date founded: June 24, 1797
Patron saint: St. John the Baptist.
Founder: Fr. Fermín de Lasuén.
Native peoples: Mutsun (Ohlone), also Yokuts from the San Joaquin Valley.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas.
Features: Mexican-era plaza with historical buildings; adobe church with ladrillo (brick) façade, convento wing with tiled corridor.
Current status: Roman Catholic parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 195; National Historical Landmark
Interesting facts: When it was first built in 1812, it was the largest church building in Alta California. San Juan Bautista was home to Fr. Felipe Arroyo de la Cuesta, who learned at least seven Indian languages and wrote a book on the native languages of northern Alta California.
- June, 1812: New mission church completed.
- 1813: Soldiers’ barracks built.
- 1815: Fr. Felipe Arroyo de la Cuesta publishes a study of the various Indian languages at the mission.
- Nov. 19, 1859: President James Buchanan returns the mission church and some surrounding property to the Catholic Church.
Daily life: Daily life at Mission San Juan Bautista was very similar to life at other missions. You can learn more about daily life at the missions here.