Location: 3080 Rio Rd, Carmel-By-The-Sea, CA 93923
Date founded: June 3, 1770
Patron saint: St. Charles Borromeo.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Esselen, Rumsen — also known as Costanoan.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, vegetables.
Features: Original stone church walls and bell tower, quarried from the Santa Lucia Mountains, star window, mudéjar style church with curved interior nave walls.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 135, National Historical Landmark.
Interesting facts: The mission houses the tomb of Junípero Serra. The museum has one of the most extensive collections of mission-period items in California.
- August 28, 1784: Fr. Junípero Serra died at the mission.
- September 18, 1786: French explorer Jean François de la Pérouse visits the mission. He later wrote a description of his visit that was very negative
- 1792 and 1793: British explorer George Vancouver visits the mission.
- 1859: President James Buchanan restores the mission ruins to the Catholic Church.
- July 3, 1884: Fr. Angelo Casanova organizes the identification of the remains of Fr. Serra
Daily life: Daily life at Mission San Carlos Borromeo was very similar to life at other missions. You can learn more about daily life at the missions here.