Location: 211 E Main St, Ventura, CA 93001
Date founded: March 31, 1782
Patron saint: St. Bonaventure.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Chumash — also known as Ventureño
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas, lentils, garbanzos and fava beans.
Features: Whitewashed church made of adobe and ladrillo, with a buttress and bell tower attached to the façade.
Current status: Roman Catholic Parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 309
Interesting facts: San Buenaventura is the first mission founded among the Chumash people. It is also the last mission founded by Junípero Serra.
- 1791: First mission church burns down.
- 1793: English explorer George Vancouver stops at mission to resupply.
- September 9, 1809: Present church completed and dedicated.
- Dec. 8, 1812: Mission heavily damaged in earthquake. Campanario collapsed.
- May 23, 1862: Mission church returned to Catholic Church by President Lincoln.