Location: 1 Mission Creek Rd, Jolon, CA 93928
Date founded: July 14, 1771
Patron saint: St. Anthony of Padua.
Founder: Fr. Junípero Serra.
Native peoples: Salinan (local), as well as Yokuts from the San Joaquin Valley.
Goods produced: Wheat, barley, corn, beans, peas.
Features: Espadaña with three bells, made of ladrillos (bricks); long vaulted convento building. Isolated location, ancient olive trees and grape vines.
Current status: Roman Catholic parish.
Historical landmark number: California Historical Landmark no. 232.
Interesting facts: The first recorded manufacture of fired tiles in Alta California, in 1776. It is the only mission to be surrounded by a U.S. Army base (Fr. Hunter Ligget).
- 1773: First church building completed.
- 1776: Col. Juan Bautista de Anza arrives at the mission with 240 immigrants.
- 1813: Current church completed.
- 1825: Torrential rains destroy some of the mission buildings.
- 1846: The U.S. Army takes possession of the mission buildings.
- 1851: Fr. Doroteo Ambris, the first non-Franciscan priest in California, becomes pastor at San Antonio.